Rabbit Rabbit Radio is Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi. That's us. We’d be thrilled to have you subscribe to our Bandcamp feed. It’s the most direct and personal way to support the creation of our new song cycle. And we’ll list you as an associate producer of our upcoming song cycle!
Here’s what we’re up to:
The deep. The unimaginable wondrous fragile unknowable darkest depths of the ocean.
We live in Woods Hole, MA at the ocean’s edge in the heart of oceanographic research in the U.S. And it’s rubbing off. We've been creating a new song cycle about the oceans, using our amazing local resources as inspiration. It's called Black Inscription - a name we found in Rachel Carson's gorgeous book "The Edge of the Sea." It is her description of the line of microplants that you can find universally, wherever water meets rock:
"Wherever rocks meet the sea, the microplants have written their dark inscription, a message only partially legible although it seems in some way to be concerned with the universality of tides and oceans. Though other elements of the intertidal world come and go... but the black inscriptions of the microplants are always there... This is the sign of the meeting of land and sea." -- Rachel Carson, The Edge of the Sea (1955)
We've written most of the songs for the piece (here is a really thoughtful review of our LA performance:
Now we're working towards the premiere of a multi-media realization of Black Inscription in New York City in January, 2018. We've assembled a great team of designers: video, sound, light and costume, with a kick-*ss 6-piece band at the heart of it all.
I know you are all philanthropic people with generous hearts who simply want to give for the joy of giving, and want to support for the satisfaction of bringing some thoughtfulness and beauty into this complicated world… but…
It’s also fun to know… “What’s in it for me?”
So, what’s in it for you?:
• You’ll be our hero/heroine. You’ll be helping us fund the creation of this project, and so we’ll list you as an associate producer.
• You’ll get monthly updates on the 1st of each month that include links to our ocean-inspired reading list, podcasts, and other ocean research we’ll be doing.
• You’ll have exclusive peeks at unfinished songs and rehearsal footage. (12 rough mixes are already posted to a subscriber-only album!... many of which will evolve before we let them go into the public waters.)
• You’ll get a 25% discount on all physical merch on the site.
• If you subscribe at $25+/month, we’ll send you a home-made ocean-themed post card every month. We've been doing this since late 2015, so the postcard collection is growing!
Thank you so much for your support!
Carla & Matthias
What you get:
- All the new music we make streaming instantly on your mobile device via the free Bandcamp app, and also available as a high-quality download.*
Exclusive access to the Rabbit Rabbit Radio fan community.
These back-catalog and subscriber-only releases:
Grace and Delia Are Gone: Tales for the Stage, IV Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi
Exclusive Lost City
Exclusive RRR Vault: Too Good to Hibernate
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 3 - Year of the Wooden Horse Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 2 - Swallow Me Whole Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 1 Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Niagara Falling: Tales for the Stage, III Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi
How We Held Our Post Causing a Tiger
Still You Lay Dreaming: Tales for the Stage, II Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi
Ravish and Other Tales for the Stage, I Carla Kihlstedt, Matthias Bossi & Dan Rathbun in various combinations.
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re supporting us in a sustainable way.
For $4/month, you get everything above.
You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $10/month, you get everything above, plus:
Your name in our album and in the program of our NYC premiere as an associate producer.You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $25/month, you get everything above, plus:
An ocean-themed postcard from us to you. Every month. Hand made. Sometimes serious. Sometimes silly. Sometimes elaborate. Sometimes stark. Sometimes made in cahoots with our kids. Some previously-utilzed mediums include ink, paint, paper, oceanogrphic charts, photo light paper, cloth, sewing machines, collage, wine bottle sleeves... who knows what's next!You’re a subscriberThank you!
Drawing on their love of both art & folk song, industrial & improvised music and heart-wrenching balladry, their songs are raw, beautiful, sparse and rich.