Rabbit Rabbit Radio is Carla Kihlstedt and Matthias Bossi. That's us. We’d be thrilled to have you subscribe to our Bandcamp feed. It’s the most direct and personal way to support the creation of our new song cycle. And we’ll list you as an associate producer of our upcoming song cycle!
Here’s what we’re up to:
The deep. The unimaginable wondrous fragile unknowable darkest depths of the ocean.
We live in Woods Hole, MA at the ocean’s edge in the heart of oceanographic research in the U.S. And it’s rubbing off. We're diving in and creating a new song cycle about the oceans, using the amazing local resources as inspiration. We’ve only just begun, so there are far more questions than answers. Before we even begin to write, we’ll be checking out podcasts, articles and books, and we'll be interviewing ocean scientists, fishermen and explorers. And you’ll be with us every step.
Here’s what we know about our new project:
• It’s a song cycle. We’ll be writing songs inspired by the ocean, the people who live by it, the amazing creatures that call it home, and the changes it’s undergoing. We're expanding our duo for this project, and bringing onboard professor-of-environmental-engineering-by-day-bassist-by-night George Ban-Weiss, guitarist Mike Abraham, and master-sound-crafter Jeremy Flower.
• It’s a radio portrait of our relationship to the sea. We’re working with seasoned radio producer and fellow-Woods Hole resident Melissa Allison (Kitchen Sisters, WNYC’s Radio Rookies, America’s Test Kitchen) to record and edit interviews with local fishermen, oceanographic scientists, explorers and researchers. Excerpts from these interviews may make it into the song cycle, but will also be a primary component of a podcast we're scheming to launch.
• It’s a series of tiny bioluminescent solo pieces. Thanks to Susan Middleton and her gorgeous book, Spineless, I’ve become obsessed with the bioluminescent beasties that live in the deepest waters of our oceans. Along the way, I’ll be writing a series of short solo pieces for my favorite instrumentalists to accompany some of these portraits. They’ll live online as a growing collection of miniatures.
I know you are all philanthropic people with generous hearts who simply want to give for the joy of giving, and want to support for the satisfaction of bringing some thoughtfulness and beauty into this complicated world… but…
It’s also fun to know… “What’s in it for me?”
So, what’s in it for you?:
• You’ll be our hero/heroine. You’ll be helping us fund the creation of this project, and so we’ll list you as an associate producer.
• You’ll get monthly updates on the 1st of each month that include links to our ocean-inspired reading list, podcasts, and other ocean research we’ll be doing, notes and ideas for songs we're working on, excerpts from interviews we’ll be doing with ocean scientists, fishermen and other seafaring locals about the changing oceans and all that we do and don’t know.
• You’ll have exclusive peeks at unfinished songs and rehearsal footage.
• You’ll get a 25% discount on all physical merch on the site. (Note: These tend to be limited edition items, so they disappear from the list as they sell out. They can include T-shirts, handmade artwork, CDs, posters. and who knows... perhaps, down the line, we'll press vinyl!)
• The first 20 people to subscribe will get a selection of 5 random CDs from our schizophrenic/omnivorous collection. These will (probably) not be CDs we are on or have anything to do with. No stylistic requests! This is a trust-the-chef sort of situation!
Subscribe before Aug 1st and you’ll get 25% off of our new Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Year of the Wooden Horse t-shirt! Hurry though as the shirt will no longer be available after July 31st. It comes with a download code for all three of our albums. If you already have them... then share the love!
We’ll offer other surprise exclusives along the way for subscribers only. If you give us your mailing address when you sign up, we may even send you an occasional postcard.
Thank you so much for your support!
Carla & Matthias
What you get:
- All the new music we make, streaming instantly on your mobile device via the free Bandcamp app, and also available as a high-quality download.*
Exclusive access to the Rabbit Rabbit Radio fan community.
These back-catalog and subscriber-only releases:
Exclusive Lost City: Songs From A Changing Sea
Exclusive RRR Vault: Too Good to Hibernate
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 3 - Year of the Wooden Horse Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 2 - Swallow Me Whole Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 1 Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi)
Niagara Falling: Tales for the Stage, III Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi
How We Held Our Post Causing a Tiger
Still You Lay Dreaming: Tales for the Stage, II Carla Kihlstedt & Matthias Bossi
Ravish and Other Tales for the Stage, I Carla Kihlstedt, Matthias Bossi & Dan Rathbun in various combinations.
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re supporting us in a sustainable way.
For $4/month, you get everything above.
You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $10/month, you get everything above, plus:
A limited edition silkscreened poster (6 screens - 18"x18") by acclaimed artist Dan McCarthy. This gorgeous frameworthy print is the manifestation of our second album, Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Swallow Me Whole, complete with a download code for access to the album's tracks on the back. In addition to his own amazing work, Dan has created concert and tour posters for Wilco, Andrew Byrd and many more. danmccarthy.org.You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $25/month, you get everything above, plus:
A postcard from us to you. Every month. Hand made. Sometimes serious. Sometimes silly. Sometimes elaborate. Sometimes stark. Sometimes made in cahoots with our kids. We may send you other trinkets and mementos too, perhaps related to our music... perhaps not!You’re a subscriberThank you!
Drawing on their love of both art & folk song, industrial & improvised music and heart-wrenching balladry, their songs are raw, beautiful, sparse and rich.